Saturday, June 23, 2007

An anecdote from the tooth decay experts diary

I had an appointment with a dentist today to start with a root canal treatment. After the preliminary testing to check if the nerve is alive or the tooth is dead, he asked if I was in pain. I replied in affirmative, but he wouldn’t believe me. He said no you don’t seem to understand what you feeling it is not pain, cause it is not possible that a patient won’t scream when a needle touches the nerve. I said I have had two root canals before and I didn’t scream on either instance. He hurried inside and after few long seconds of painful wonderment and holding back of tears he came back with a cylinder shaped ice and touched it to my tooth. I said there is sensation. To which he said your symptoms are not matching you don’t have pain but feel sensation with ice. Your teeth can either be dead or alive.

I should commend myself for having maintained my composure. I said I felt pain when you touched the needle, throbbing pain that made me cry but I did not. He still dismissed my claims to pain and said he will anyways give me anaesthesia before starting the root cleanup. Mild anaesthesia for me is like empty threats, never works on me. The needle touches the nerve again, I still don’t scream but motion him to stop. He now realizes that I am not faking an Oscar winning performance of resilience, he will never get that scream out of me and injects something directly into the tooth which gives instant relief.

I am not a masochist; I do not enjoy pain, physical or otherwise. But then I don’t scream, I usually don’t react that extremely. Accidents, distress, root canals, disasters by tailors and hair dressers, horror movies (these make my insides shiver, but my face manages a calm composure, I don’t know how) nothing has ever made me scream in horror. But sometimes I guess you got to scream to be taken seriously. Monday got an appointment with the doc again. Tomorrow is Sunday, it will be a good thing to spend the day practicing screaming, who knows the practice, someday, might bring me an Oscar.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are folks born without pigments, all pale those albinos tend to be.You ,on the other hand, my friend are one of the cases of emotional albinos...
There might be some hope for you though. All you need is a regular bit of time with moronic muscle brains , few blonde cheerleaders ,ksango from cendant, some hawalars called Ganpat whose only contribution to mankind has been their incessant relentless shooing away of couples (of any species) in hanging garden...throw in a few of my relatives and aunts of kathy who want him to get married off for good measure and............ We all WILL SEE U do the DO RAY ME FAA OF PAIN as easily as laloo prasad impregnates rabri along with all the special effects of grimaces and air soccer kickings!

:P
M

Grey Shades said...

Take a safety pin with you and jab him everytime he jabs you :)

Anonymous said...

ROTFL!!! I think you can take me along next time.. I'll scream everytime he jabs you!!! Will that do? I am every dentist's horror patient.. Me gives them types the shiver down their spines.. Guahahahaha!!

Anonymous said...

hey.. what can u say about dentists... they are people who put your money where your mouth is .. :)

there isnt a dentist in dubai who would take me on for my bi yearly cleaning.. they are all scared of my foot hitting something they cherish more than anything he he..

hey. its been a long time.. how are u ??

Flying Machine said...

M

Kathy getting married I can handle I might even be party to his misery, but Ksango and all the other things u mentioned No mama no

Flying Machine said...

GS: He is a nice doc, almost made root canal a cake walk for me, unlike my previous doctor. So I will spare this guy. :D

Flying Machine said...

viyer

the good idea it is. instead of me the getting shiver down the spine types, let the docs gets it

Flying Machine said...

Dreams

Am great and it is really nice to hear from u. A pleasant surprise.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... now that I think back I could never extract a scream out of you no matter how exasperated you got with me. I guess you have been around enough sample pieces (me included) to have been silenced for life.... come on Bugs... you can do it... open your mouth and exercise your lungs.

Anonymous said...

so add to the list.. apart from their man/men, their dentists can make the women scream..

i leave enlightened.. :)