Saturday, June 02, 2007

It is more than three months since you have passed away. With the passing days I miss you more. There are times when I wish I should have been able to do something, to cure you, like a miracle maybe, so that you could still be around. I don’t know what is it that I want you to be around for, maybe to see me get married, play with my kids, be proud of my achievements. But you were always proud of me. I counted you among my blessings and you topped the list.

You were so unlike other fathers. You gave us those rare things that so many kids don’t get, trust, respect and freedom. We were always allowed to make our decisions, whom to befriend, what to study, how late to stay out at night. You never tried to live our lives. We never had to ask for permission to go to movies or a picnic or see a guy. Having you for a father I could never understand the restrictions other girls had to face.

You could be so naïve at times. During college when R would come to drop me home in the night, once you had asked me to ask him inside for tea. I had told you nobody is getting invited at 11.30 in the night for tea. That was your gesture, hospitality for someone who had brought your daughter back home safely. I can never forget that incident; everything was so simple and uncomplicated for you.

There is so much to do and so much to live for. Hope you will always be there with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)


Cheers
M

Grey Shades said...

Trust me lady! he'll always be there :)

Anonymous said...

This piece is the best ever written. Touched me deeply. Need to call up dad right away...

And yes, he is there for you forever, in spirit and soul, in you, around you... God bless!

Anonymous said...

Nice... and I agree, the Best.

Anonymous said...

Yes, me being a daughter...can understand and feel what you must have gone through...fathers truly are gems... to be cherished...forever!
God bless his soul.
And yes, that guiding light won't leave u...ever!

Anonymous said...

Memories are immortal :)