Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bliss

Slept like a log in the afternoon today. Woke up with a heavy head, felt like a cup of tea, made tea but then didn’t feel like drinking it. Went down to the garden with the big swing, hallelujah, the swing was not occupied.

From where I was swinging could see a beautiful crescent moon in the sky and the Sun wasn’t even close to setting. Two small kids came to the garden first they went and sat on the bench, and then slowly the girl approached the swing and made herself comfortable. Her brother followed her, he wouldn’t sit next to me asked his sister to shift and sat in the corner. I thought wait till you grow up boy and all you will want is a reason to sit besides girls. I started swinging a little hard for the kids.

Looked at the sky again noticed a lone star a little far away from the moon. They looked close to me, but they must be so far away on the vast sky. If I had a celestial pencil I could have drawn a straight line between them, a road for them to travel and meet midway. It was a foggy sky, the only thing visible was the crescent moon and the star both beautiful both alone.

I felt a sting on my left wrist I looked it was a mosquito. I hit it with my other hand, the little girl who had been observing me all the time thought I had clapped and she clapped too. Very rarely do I come across such innocence these days, even among kids. When I was a kid innocence wasn’t a rare commodity, I don’t know about the adult world but in my small world it wasn’t. My world has changed change is the only constant. Life is a paradox.

10 comments:

IcEyeZ said...

haha..good post...and for the little gal clapping for u tapping the mosquitoes...reminded me of "Ek Duje keliye";-)

n.g. said...

im posting here something that nitin sawhney wrote for the inlay card of his album 'prophesy', coz i think you may find it somewhat relevant.

Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it. We feed it to our kids and watch them grow on a forced diet of desensitization. Switch on the TV and someone will tell you 50,000 people died in India. Two seconds later, you're watching a comedy. Technology can do that. It gives us simulated releases that make us oblivious to the real world. Heroin does the same thing. So do most class A drugs. Basically, we are all addicts. Addicted to the comfort and convenience that technology provides. Addicted to the notion that progress is directly related to the size of your computer screen. Of course it is. We must be right. We come from the developed world. We're already developed. Sure. Then again, wealthy kids in America shoot each other. Poor kids in Soweto can't stop smiling.

So who's developed?

I met an Aborigine in Arnhemland, Australia - his nephews showed me symbols where I saw trees and rainbows through smoked glass. They could see fish through clouded water. I couldn't even see my own reflection. I must have forgotten how.

When I look in front of me, I see two paths - spiritual or material. Two worlds - developed or developing. You decide which is which. We're still in the wake of millennium paranoia - earthquakes, floods, end of world scenarios, cult suicides, viral diseases that eat into our computer realities. This is our developed world.

Then, as Nelson Mandela says, 'We are free to be free'.

I guess we make our own prophecies.

Kon ?? said...

bingo "life is a paradox" :)
btw interesting to know that even kids run away frm u :o ??

SwB said...

Nice one Nish!

so how u doin Bhagyalaxmi?

Kuldeep Prakash said...

bhags u seem to be getting more n more philosophical , lagataa hain jindagee kee mushkilen kam nahin huvee hain

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

IcEyeZ - Ability to remember things, another great blessing

nish - yups

Kon ?? - no actually kids love me, some of the best moments I have had is with kids

Saltwater Blues - I am doing great! u are always around when Nish makes a humongous comment.

Dukhee_Aatamaa - Mushkilen jyaada thi hi nahi, jo kam hongi.

Seema - ;-)

Anks said...

swinging away on a beautiful night! thats a wow!

as for innocence, well looks like its days are gone forever!

Anonymous said...

I have found that life is as complicated as WE want it to be! Unfortunately we are complicated people and maybe thats a good thing!

Neel Arurkar said...

:-) Even I observed the star and the crescent. In fact, once I had observed the star pretty close, like they have in the Paki flag and it looked beautiful.

True, innocence is dying. I lost it long ago ;-)