Thursday, September 08, 2005

Isolated Living

Recently my friend Mumu’s fiancé has been looking for a house to buy. Finding a decent house in Mumbai that fits your budget is a difficult task for anybody. It has been more difficult for my friend as she is a Muslim, wonder what that has to do with buying a house; well it does, even in a cosmopolitan city like Mumbai.

When they would contact some builders, he would assure them that he has some nice flats that they will like, the moment they gave their names suddenly the flats would be unavailable. Some of the housing societies very candidly refused to sell them flats stating with a sweet smile Sorry No Minorities. A very frustrating experience for this family, they are nothing but a normal middle class family, which pays their taxes like every other person and don’t make much fuss about who their neighbour is. Are we so narrow-minded, intolerant and discriminating that we take away the right to dwell in a place of our choice on the basis of religion.

Even when we were looking for a house, the first question the broker asked us was are you guys vegetarian or non-vegetarian. When we said that we are non-vegetarians, he straight away told us that in that case it won’t be possible to get a flat in some of the locations we were interested in cause it’s a Gujarati locality and they wouldn’t want meat eaters among them. My question is if we are such bigots then why do we leave our villages, which is made of people of our own communities and settle down in different parts of the world. If we do make other parts of world our home, than what right do we have to impose our beliefs on to others and who are we to discriminate or decide who will stay where.

Another of my friends who happens to be from the same minority faces a similar dilemma. Theirs is the most secular (I can’t use that word without flinching ) family I know. My friend and her sisters would wear bindis, they celebrated Raksha Bandhan and Holi just like any other Hindu family would do, not only that my friend would even accompany me to temples and their entire family would participate in Poojas and other religious festivities. But things changed after the 92 – 93 riots, their house and belongings were destroyed and they moved to a Muslim dominated locality in the far suburbs. Not only has this caused them inconvenience in travelling and access to services like hospitals and good schools, their lifestyle has changed drastically. My friend and her sisters have to now cover their head whenever they go out, they do not go out anymore in the late evenings. Very recently I asked her why don’t they shift back to wear they lived earlier, to which she said…….. peechle baar jaan toh bachi thi, agli baar woh bhi nahin bachi toh. So now they make do with a conservative lifestyle, even though they do not like it.

I am not being spiteful about any one community or religion, I am only wondering what makes us discriminate or think that we and our practices are superior to others? And in the long run where will such demographic shifts based on caste, class, religion lead us. No matter how educated and modern we would like to think we are somewhere the discriminating behaviour is deep rooted in our psyche.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I went through this predicament too recently when I tried leasing my flat to a Kerala Muslim family. The society people refused to cooperate, threatened to take action(god know if they have any rights to do that). Anyways, I was chicken and I backed out :(

Kuldeep Prakash said...

I dont think such things happen so much in other cities. I have a flat in bangalore and if I want to rent it out to somebody , I dont think anybody can stop me.

Flying Machine said...

@Dukhee_Aatamaa
Good to know there are such places. You can relate ur experiences once u have tried to rent ur flat.
:-)

Kuldeep Prakash said...

I am trying to rent out my flat , will be travelling to Blore next week for 2-3 days , hopefully I will be able to rent it out. btw do u know anybody in blore looking for a flat ;)

Flying Machine said...

don't recollect anybody now, but if I know somebody will let u know.

Pulse said...

the only hope in the so called new generation, youngsters....if they can defy their conservative upbringing and consider everyone equal, irrespective to their faiths or background.

Flying Machine said...

@pulse your said it pulse.

Anonymous said...

its so sad..inspite of saying india is a secular country...these things happen..
but regd the cities i know..blore is ok..and chennai inspite of being a bit conservative..it doesnt happen this way.
but one positive thing is..our generation is a lot tolerant..so down the lane..it will be better hopefully..wat say??

Flying Machine said...

godolphin........ agree with you completely.

Anonymous said...

I dont think this will be a problem in Delhi too ... see, i knew mumbai is not all that great! insidiously it hides its ugly side *smug* ... but a serious question is, how and when did this start? why this fear of muslims? from where does it stem?

Anonymous said...

@Deepak- There is no fear of muslims or of any community baba... I know of societies that wouldn't admit hindus coz they are predominantly muslims or christian... then there are Parsi colonies that will not take any outsiders as tenants. So this is just a method of trying to keep the religious community spirit alive. I think it stems from the need to be with people who think alike, eat the same kind of stuff, etc. Even in the US there are areas that are predominantly inhabited by people of one race. This is not limited to Mumbai.

Anonymous said...

He he ... the mumbaikar defends mumbai ;-))

Yeah, but this ghettoisation at educated level people is a bit disconcerting , no ?

Flying Machine said...

@Deepak - Well a mumbaite will always defend Mumbai.

And I believe this fear of muslims stems from ignorance on part of other communities about their culture. They think all muslims are uneducated and uncultured and involved in some anti-social activities.
And yes ghettoisation is very disconcerting and scary.

Anonymous said...

And Bhagya, who will clear the fear /ignorance of the other communities regarding them? Certainly not the Maulvis issuing fatwas at the drop of their hats?

Anonymous said...

@Deepak - Certainly not, Maulvis are opportunists just like anybody else. But I don't see a point in generalised judgments .

Anonymous said...

True. But this space is prob limited to discuss this further.

BTW, one more ques...what made ur friends to cover heads in their new locality, even though they dont like it ??? Some diktat from past is being followed...who sets them? who will remove them? is that locality all from 'poor/uneducated' background where they had to shift?

Oh hell, that made five questions :P

Anonymous said...

@Deepak - As u mentioned this space is too short for discussion and the answer to ur questions will be long, so if u r really pining for the answers :-)) I think I will have to mail u.

Neel Arurkar said...

Sad. Btw, even my landlady(here at Bangalore) asked me the Veg/Non-Veg Q.

Flying Machine said...

@Neel Arurkar - There I knew every place is the same, its not just Mumbai

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about stroke doctor. I also have a site about stroke doctor which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!